Catching Our Rainbow

Hoping for a rainbow after the storm…

Still in the Trenches and a Sickly Hubby

on January 14, 2013

This month is not our month.The spotting I had 9 DPO was apparently a fluke (or the new normal because I failed to mention that the only time I had mid-cycle spotting and wasn’t pregnant was the previous cycle), and AF arrived on Wednesday. The truth is that we really didn’t try very hard this past cycle because hubby has been sickly, and I went into this TWW knowing that we might have missed our window. While I am a little disappointed, I’m ready to shake it off and move to next month.

The reason that I haven’t posted in a while is that hubby is quite sick. He went to his doctor on Friday the 4th, and his doctor referred him to a gastroenterologist. We went and saw the specialist on Wednesday, and he sent hubby to the hospital for a stat CT scan. The diagnosis? Hubby has Crohn’s disease, and he currently has a lot of inflammation and a small amount of air leaking from his small intestine into his abdomen, which is causing a lot of pain. The doctor said there is a 70% chance that this leak will be fixed with medication (antibiotics and Hu.mira), but there is a 30% chance it will turn into an abscess and he will need surgery. Hubby started the antibiotics on Wednesday, and he is going in for a TB test today. Once he goes back and they see the test is negative, the doctor can prescribe the Humira. My biggest immediate concern was helping hubby’s pain, and I asked the doctor to give him some pain killers so he can actually sleep through the night. At this point, we are just waiting for the Hu.mira and watching for any signs of an abscess–increased pain, fever, etc.

Crohn’s is a big deal, and Hu.mira is a big bad drug, but this is not too much of a shock for us. Hubby had some major tummy issues a few years ago, and Crohn’s was suggested as the culprit, but he was never officially diagnosed. He went into remission and we didn’t give it much more thought until he started feeling terrible again at the end of October.

Needless to say, TTC is on the back burner right now. I’m ready to try again this month if hubby feels up to it, but if he doesn’t, we’ll just keep waiting until he is better. Right now, his health is so much more important to me than TTC.

Advertisements

4 responses to “Still in the Trenches and a Sickly Hubby

  1. I don’t know much about Crohn’s disease, but it doesn’t sound like fun. I hope that the medicine helps your husband and he starts to feel better!!

  2. steph50 says:

    Poor thing… I hope he responds well to treatment and doesn’t need surgery! xox

  3. Kristin says:

    Suck! I hope the doctors are able to get the condition under control again so your husband feels better soon!

  4. Theresa says:

    Oh man I’m so sorry about your hubby. I have a friend with Chron’s but honestly don’t know much about it. Hope he feels better soon and avoids surgery.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Bit of Earth Farm

Raising plants and animals in simple partnership with nature.

Laura Grace Weldon

Free Range Learning, Creative Living, Gentle Encouragement, Big Questions, Poetry, Occasional Drollery

A Woman Like That

...I have been her kind.

Our Egg, Her Nest?

My journey to Motherhood through gestational surrogacy

Catching Our Rainbow

Hoping for a rainbow after the storm...

Stepping Stones

Hoping for a rainbow after the storm...

Sabine Daily

This WordPress.com site is the bee's knees

My Perfect Breakdown

-- Surviving. Living. Hoping. -- Recurrent Pregnancy Loss & Adoption

THE RIVER WALK

Daily Thoughts and Meditations as we journey together with our Lord.

Recurrently Lost

My honest account of life with recurrent pregnancy loss

Caring for Crohn's & UC

Caring for a loved one with Crohn's Disease & Ulcerative Colitis

my german life:

an american girl in hamburg

Hoping for a rainbow after the storm...

Stories of a Son

Hoping for a rainbow after the storm...

Eighteenyears's Blog

Just another WordPress.com site

IBDaily

The tales of a girl with unruly guts.

SocialJerk

Because writing about social work can be funny, too! (Sorry Precious)

No Air Radio

Hoping for a rainbow after the storm...

Growing Globe

"I am a pal of the world: I came from the wilderness." - Carl Sandburg

lamenting the lentil

unexplained infertility, twin pregnancy, and me

tales from the waiting room

Just another IF blog

The Moon on a Stick

Infertility and all that jazz.

The Stolen Colon | Living beautifully with an ostomy

Stephanie Hughes | This blog is my way of connecting with the world about living with an ostomy and Crohn's disease.

%d bloggers like this: